Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Simple Prawn Noodles


Last night, I suddenly had the urge to make prawn noodles for my family. I didn't want to check one of my cookbooks for the recipe instead I decided to just 'wing it'. To me, it's always fun to just try cooking without having to keep referring to a recipe book. It keeps my creative juices flowing and more often than not, I'm pleasantly surprised by the results. You only need the knowledge of how each ingredient taste and whether they can complement each other.

This simple prawn noodles is simple (duh) and mild tasting compared to the MSG and spice loaded prawn noodles at the hawker centre . Preparation and cooking time took less than 20 mins and when served with sliced chilli padi in fish sauce, its absolutely great during this rainy weather.

In my dish, I replaced fresh prawns with frozen shelled prawns. It's not because they don't taste better, just that I'm too lazy today to peel the fresh ones. Don't judge me...I have my lazy days too, ok...

Ingredients

1 pack Yellow Hokkien Noodles
300g Prawns
8 to 12 fishballs
1 small red onion - diced
2 shallots - diced
1 spring onion - diced
1 clove garlic - sliced
3 tbsp veg oil
800ml of water
salt
white pepper

Garnishes

coriander
fish sauce
bird's eye chilli (chilli padi)
fried fish cakes

Saute red onion, shallots and garlic in oil in a stock pot until fragrant.
Add in prawns and spring onions.
When prawns are orange in color, add in fishballs.
Pour in water and season with salt and pepper to taste.
To prepare the noodles, simply scald in boiling water.
Serve with the garnishes

Simple isn't it? It actually takes less time to cook it up than to head down to my local hawker centre to buy it. Provided of course you have all the ingredients at home.

1 comment: