Monday, April 12, 2010

Quickee Chicken Salad

First of all, let me make it clear that I'm not really into the healthy diet mambo-jambo that the Health Promotion Board is pushing. But after exploring the bottomless abyss that my fridge is, I found some interesting ingredients sufficient to make a chicken salad for lunch. I also found fit to use the breadcrumbs I had left from my dessert the day before.

Ingredients:

- 4 slices chicken breasts
- dash of dry dill
- black pepper
- salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g butter
- whole meal bread crumbs
- 1 butterhead lettuce
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- handful of raisins

Marinate the chicken breasts in oil, dill, pepper and salt. (for best results, leave it for half an hour)
Coat it in whole meal bread crumbs.
Toss in a tbsp of olive oil in the pan with the butter over medium heat.
Once the butter has melted, slide in the chicken breasts. Cook until lightly browned.
The pan now has residual chicken flavours that will go wasted.Instead, toss in a few tbsp of water and the raisins over low heat.
The raisins will absorb the chicken stock and moisten. (Amazingly, I learned this concept from Roald Dahl's 'The Champion of the World'.)
Slice the chicken breasts and prepare the salad as shown in the picture.
This salad goes well with balsamic dressing which I happen to have in my fridge.

I guess its a very healthy dish if not for the chunk of butter i tossed in to make the chicken breasts taste even better. The dish took me less than 15 minutes to do so if you're in a rush, you should try out this dish. Whatever it is, having such a healthy meal for lunch gives me the green light to pig out for dinner at the hawker centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment