Sunday, May 9, 2010

Cooking Lesson for Dean

The past week has all been about work, work and work. Cooking wise, I've not been able to accomplish much as I was pretty much shagged out after work.

Saturday however heralded the end of schooling life for one of my best friends, Dean. I conned him into coming over, telling him to have dinner at my place before heading out for our regular guys night out. So he was pretty much surprised when I told him I hadn't done anything much. Instead, I was going to teach him how to cook and prepare the dish I had in mind.

Dean's Cookery Profile
- refused to take cooking classes in school because he thought it was unmanly.
- aglio olio is the pinnacle of his cooking capability (courtesy of his gf)
- ability to turn instant pizza into burnt carbonized cardboard

The menu for that day was Seared Kingfish with Greens and Beef Salsa with sides of nachos and freshly baked white bread. The kingfish was still fresh, having been caught and immediately frozen less than a week earlier by me. to make things easier, I had already prepared the bread dough as well as the salsa earlier on . Searing the kingfish and the greens was Dean's task.

At first, watching Dean peel off the skin of the shallots and slice the asparagus was like watching grass grow. Yeah, it was that slow. The first fish steak went in perfectly, though later I found it slightly undercooked with the flesh still slightly pink in the centre. Before the second steak could go in however, the shallots and butter being sauteed in the pan turned black and had to be thrown away and additional shallots had to be diced.

Fortunately, everything turned out fine (and edible) and I had to say we had quite a fun and interesting experience on that day. Teaching a friend to cook is fun and definitely a great bonding experience. As for the purpose of this blog, I realized that it's not about showing off the dishes I've done to the world but to share with the world how fun cooking actually can be.

3 comments:

  1. nv jio lor. :( what happened to our Viet-Malay cook-out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come there's no photo of the bread u baked? Would love to see how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bread was still in the oven when we started taking photos. The moment, it left the oven, me and Dean just stuffed ourselves with it.

    ReplyDelete